EAMT 2022: Support for participants from low-income countries and war zones
Call for Participation
The European Association for Machine Translation (EAMT) is an organisation that serves the growing community of people interested in MT and translation tools, including translators, users, developers, and researchers of this increasingly viable technology.
As part of its commitment to promote research, development and awareness about translation technologies, the EAMT opens a call for a small number of bursaries to support EAMT 2022 attendees from areas affected by war and low-income countries. The 23rd Annual Conference of the European Association for Machine Translation (EAMT 2022) conference will be held in Ghent, Belgium, from June 1st to June 3rd.
Purpose of the Call
This call is dedicated to support EAMT 2022 attendees that do not have fundings to attend the conference, from areas affected by war or low-income countries in Europe, Middle East or Africa.
The EAMT particularly encourages applications from early career researchers.
All applications will be screened by the EAMT President (Dr Helena Moniz) and the EAMT Secretary (Dr Carolina Scarton) and possibly a few appointed Executive Committee members if necessary.
In order to qualify for this call, the individual must be a student or an employee of an institution located in areas affected by war or in low-income countries in Europe, Middle East or Africa, that would not be able to attend the conference without this support. Students and early-career researchers/academics will have priority.
- The selection will be made based on the information submitted to the provided Google Forms (link below).
- One of the fields in the form is a “motivation letter”, where you should describe your motivation for attending the EAMT 2022 conference and explain why you do not have other funds to sponsor your attendance.
- You should also submit a CV, highlighting your years of experience in the MT area.
EAMT anticipates funding several applications. Selected participants will be announced on the 5th of May 2022 and will receive complimentary membership in the EAMT for 2022 and 2023, free registration at the EAMT 2022 conference and paid accommodation in Ghent.
Contact for enquiries
Candidates should submit their applications via a Google Form: https://forms.gle/oviiJmE56PCJ6wmv9
- Circulation of the Call: April 28, 2022
- Submission deadline for applications: May 3rd, 2022, 23:59 CEST
- Notifications: May 5th, 2022
- Only complete applications will be reviewed.
- All information submitted with applications will be regarded as confidential and will only be used in the context of this call.
- You may be asked to share the accommodation room with other awardees. However, we will commit to respect any requirements / concerns that you inform us (e.g. religion, gender, etc).
No obligation to award the bursaries
The EAMT shall be under no obligation to fund the applications pursuant to this call for participation. EAMT shall not be liable for any compensation with respect to candidates whose applications have not been approved. Nor shall it be liable in the event of it deciding not to award the bursaries.