The European Association for Machine Translation (EAMT) invites expressions of interest to host the MT Summit 2025 conference, to be held in Europe, the Middle East or Africa (EMEA) between Summer and Autumn 2025. This will be the 20th Machine Translation Summit, which takes place bi-annually and its organisation and is overseen by the International Association for Machine Translation (IAMT), rotating between the sister organisations: EAMT, AMTA (Association for Machine Translation in the Americas) and AAMT (Asia-Pacific Association for Machine Translation).
At this stage, we seek draft proposals from prospective bidders. These will be evaluated and promising bidders will be asked to provide additional information for the final selection. The EAMT president will act as general chair and will work together with local organisers to design and shape the conference, including the appointment of chairs.
Draft proposals (due August 20, 2023) should include information on all of the following items:
1. Proposed dates: between Spring and Autumn 2025
2. Location: city and conference venue. Indicate whether the conference would be held at a university, hotel or convention centre. Bear in mind that EAMT is growing and we expect the same will happen with MT Summit. While Ghent (EAMT 2022) had around 120 registered participants, Tampere (EAMT 2023) had around 190 registered participants. The last in person MT Summit (Dublin, 2019) had around 300 participants. So please suggest a location that could host 400+ people for the main conference sessions, plus at least 4 conference rooms hosting parallel workshops and tutorials (100 people each), a large poster or exhibit room; and room for registration
3. Local arrangements team: local chair/co-chair, committee (identifying a coordinator to be co-opted as EAMT executive committee member), volunteer labour (e.g. students), registration handling. The local arrangements team will be responsible for activities such as arranging meeting rooms, equipment, refreshments, accommodation, on-site registration, participant internet access, the reception, the conference dinner, and working with the other chairs and the EAMT Board to develop the budget and registration materials. Indicate whether any national/regional Computational Linguistics association would be on board of the local organisation
4. Computing/wifi/audiovisual: whether there will be desktop/laptop in conference rooms and high-speed wireless Internet access, what the audiovisual facilities are
5. Food catering including breaks, reception, poster sessions and conference dinner
6. Social events including infrastructure for banquet/other social event and reception
7. Potential for local sponsorships
8. Opportunities for co-location with other meetings
9. The costs related to all of the above items, which should be indicated in the expenses spreadsheet (template provided below).
Proposals will be evaluated with respect to a number of criteria (unordered):
● Adequacy of conference and exhibit facilities for the anticipated number of registrants
● Adequacy of accommodations and food services (in a range of price categories) and proximity to the conference facilities
● Adequacy of expenses projections and expected surplus
● Appropriateness of proposed dates
● Geographical and national balance with regard to previous EACL and ACL conferences, and other major Natural Language Processing conferences held in EMEA
● Co-location with national/regional conferences
● Experience of the local arrangements team
● Local CL community support
● Local government and industry support
● Appropriateness of expected registration fees
● Accessibility of proposed site
Please send your expressions of interest electronically to the EAMT president:
Helena Moniz: helena.monizcampus.ul.pt
The EAMT board encourages groups who intend to submit a proposal to ask questions about how to prepare the proposal.
- August 11th, 2023: Deadline for bids
- August 18th, 2023: Feedback to bidders and announcement of shortlist of bidders
- August 25th, 2023: Final bids with implemented feedback
- August 30th: Final bid chosen
- September 4th-8th: MT Summit 2024 announcement (at MT Summit 2023)